FREDERICK JAMES WILFRED (1925-2010)
Fred was born in Islington in 1925. During WWII he first seved in the RAF as an airframe fitter repairing Sunderland flying boats before being transferred to the Army in 1944, then served in a tank regiment in India and Burma. He lived in and around Richmond, Twickenham and Teddington until his death in 2010.
During the 1950s, Fred worked as Chief Photographer for Hawker Siddeley Aviation for whom he shot still images and Cinefilm of the early flying trials of the Hawker P1127 Kestrel (later renamed the Harrier).
Fred took a camera with him wherever he went, and in 1961 Twickenham Photographic Society and Richmond Camera Club featured his street photography in an exhibition called ‘The Camera Looks at London’.
In the late 50’s he left Hawker Syddley to open a camera shop near Hampton Court. Then in 1963 he started his own commercial and portrait studio in Hampton Hill, which he kept until his retirement in 1990. In 1985, he dropped the commercial aspect of his work to focus more on portraiture and weddings for which he won numerous awards.
Fred was an active member of the Richmond and Twickenham Photographic Society, a founder member of the London Portrait Group and associate member of BIPP.
His son Russell, an avid photographer himself, has undertaken the responsibility of ordering and scanning his father’s extensive archive so that these historic images are available for everyone to enjoy.
The Museum of London in partnership with the London Festival of Photography are exhibiting a selection of Fred’s work from June 16 – July 8, 2012.